The Open Referral Initiative develops data standards and open platforms that make it easy to share and find information about community resources. Learn more about the initiative at OpenReferral.org.
These can be used to structure and exchange information about the accessibility of health, human, and social services. Specifically, the HSDS describes data about organizations, the services they provide, the locations at which these services can be accessed, and associated details. The HSDA describes protocols for accessing and managing this data.
Open Referral’s ecosystem includes a range of working open source software applications that can be freely redeployed to work with HSDS-compatible data and/or HSDA-compatible APIs. Many of these tools can be found in our Github organization page.
Join Open Referral's Community of Practice
Get in touch¶
Questions not answered here? Suggestions for us?
- Human Services Data Specification (HSDS)
- Human Service Data API Suite (HSDA)
- Design Principles
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Open Referral?
- Who started Open Referral?
- Who is the audience for Open Referral?
- How is this project relevant to me?
- If I maintain a community resource directory — or if I partner with an organization that does — how would I get started?
- How are decisions made about the Open Referral specifications?
- What is the Human Services Data Specification (HSDS)?
- What is in the Human Services Data Specification (HSDS)?
- What is not in the Human Services Data Specification (HSDS)?
- What is the format of the HSDS? Why CSV?
- How do you address the matter of taxonomy (of types of services and situations)?
- What if I collect important information that isn't included in the Human Service Data specification?
- What if the Human Service Data Specification requires kinds of information that I don't collect?
- What if I need help collecting this data in the first place?
- Who has adapted this project and can I see examples?
- Who do I contact if I need help with this project?
- What languages is this project in?
- If I wanted to help with this project, what is the best way to do that?
- Is the project in active development?
- What is the licensing on this project?